16 March 2009

Wales: Adventure Weekend


This was supposed to be published FEBRUARY 9... but the html was fucked, and i don't know how to fix it... so this is just it copied and pasted:

the First Adventure: Getting There

I signed up for the "Venture Weekend" with Perseli Ventures in Wales. They promised a fun filled weekend packed with water sports, home -cooked meals, bonfires, and booze.

They offered a special deal to our program, so it was about 35 of us the went together on this specific weekend. However, once we all assembled at the bus station, where are bus was scheduled to depart, we find out that all buses to Wales have been canceled due to inclement weather.

With absolutely no buses available... people start to FREAK out. Eventually, the pieces started falling together again as different people were coming up with different solutions and better ideas and deals. It kind of felt like we were all on the Amazing Race because everyone was rushed, spazzing, and sharing information.

We ended up buying train tickets, which we had to go back and exchange for the right tickets after our cashier fucked up, and finally got there. And on time to say the least!

We were greeted with a rather large, husky chap called Adam, and a smaller chipper lady who drove us in rickety old mini-buses on one-lane roads to the place.

We got our home cooked meal, we got our booze from their small bar, and we got a taste of adventure.

Adventure 2: Coasteering

The next morning we woke bright and early for breakfast, then split into smaller groups of ten or so people for our activities. My group's first activity- or shall I say adventure- was Coasteering. This includes swimming, cliff jumping and diving, climbing, and general frolicking in the ocean.

During this adventure we all got very close. Literally. Everybody had to be friends since this part of the trip consisted of a lot of hands-on help. Whether we were caught in a whirlpool and everyone's bodies were smashing into each others or we were pulling or pushing people up the cliffs, or onto rocks. Quite the strenuous activity. But a hell of a lot of fun.

Adventure 3: We stripped out of our wetsuits, then a quick break for lunch, and we were out again. This time... surfing! Of course we had
to go and put on wetsuits again... this time it sucked because they were wet- which1)made them harder to get on, and 2) made it a lot colder... ya know, standing in 8*C and trying to put on wet, skin-tight outfits. Not very pleasant. But we looked hella fresh in those old-school wetsuits.

That’s right. I went surfing. Surprisingly I got up quite a few times. Wiped out a bunch of times, but I did it! Whenever I would jump off my board I would have that reaction where I immediately would turn around to see if anyone saw, then I realized, no one out here is really watching me. Everyone was doing there own thing too. I just felt like a child who wasn't being paid attention too...every once and a while when I would get up and spin around after I just rode a wave in and I was expecting a thumbs up, or good job, or an excellent. But on occasion, when one of the guides would see me or one of my friends they'd give me my acknowledgment. So that made me feel like I accomplished something.

Riding back from all of these events down by the ocean was like something out of a movie. It was just so goofy; ere you got 12 people squeezed into a rickety old mini-bus, flying 80mph down windy one lane roads, with no shoulder room because the trees come right to the road. Not too mention that are drivers are these California-like boys, but from Wales. Blonde hair, one has dreadlocks...they are crazy. Neo-hippie, pot heads, living off the land; getting paid to go surfing all day. WE-LIKE-TO PARTY… WE LIKE- WE LIKE- TO PARTY!! I swear I heard that song more this trip than I had ever heard before.

Good times when we rolled back to the lodge. Showers, clean clothes, food, drinks. They had fully stocked bar. So we drank again. Me and two of my girls brought some tea with us, so we walked in the direction of the beach and had ourselves a smoke. Upon arriving back, drinking a little more, we decided to smoke more, no more papers, no more bowl, fruit though! Carved ourselves out an apple and smoked right there in the little quad outside the lodge and bar. Went back in, had some good laughs about some awkward people. Maybe those stories to come later… but right now, alls that is needed to know is that it was all a smashing good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment